Not exactly my favorite topic, after all I blog a lot about food. But since I got married in 2010 I’ve lost about twenty pounds. I haven’t tried any fad diets and I haven’t spent days on end working out. I didn’t lose it all at once, and it’s been a fight to maintain. I guess you could say I’m tired of all the fads and lose weight quick schemes. I’m also tired of the complete sacrifice philosophy and the let’s make boring health foods taste better. I’ve eaten mostly what I wanted to eat, I’ve learned to cut back in little ways. Portion control is the key. Anyway, here’s my tips to losing weight and keeping it off.
1. Eat more veggies (they aren’t as expensive as you think). I usually ate carrot sticks, which you can get in a 3-5lb bag for $2 dollars at Wal-Mart.
2. Skimp on some meals, so you can enjoy others. I tried to eat healthier breakfast and lunches, then ate less healthy suppers. For lunch I would eat a sandwich with just wheat bread, meat, and carrot sticks on the side.
3. Work out regularly! This is the most important step. I’m not talking about those killer one hour workout sessions. I’m talking about Wii Active and Wii Fit (I’ll review these sometimes soon). Try taking daily walks, hiking through a local park, and generally living a more active lifestyle. The Biggest Loser Cardio Workout is great, too!
4. Eat Fruits! The way to save on these is by buying them in season.
5. Drink lots of water. I gave up pop entirely. Very rarely do I drink anything other then milk and water. I do splurge on juice once in awhile.
6. Live an active lifestyle. Did you know that simply cleaning your house can burn calories? So get up and get the housework done! What about marching while you shower? Or doing squats while you blow dry your hair? Every little bit helps!
7. Splurge once in awhile! It’s okay to eat one small piece of chocolate on a daily basis (as long as you limit yourself to only one piece). Limit yourself to one piece of dessert a week, it’s okay you’re already making sacrifices.
8. Try cutting calories with ingredients. Use fat free sour cream, low fat mozzarella, fat free cream cheese, and low sodium chicken broth. Substitute yogurt for sour cream in dips! Just think of all the fat you’re cutting! Then there’s chicken and turkey, substitute these for red meats. In fact limit the amount of red meat you eat to a couple meals a week! Wow!
9. And finally stick to it. Don’t just stop because you’ve lost the weight, now it’s time to maintain.
10. One more thing if you cheat, don’t beat yourself up over it. Instead just try harder the next day. Beating yourself u won’t accomplish anything.